Tuesday, June 24, 2008

HA!

I was bartending an event this weekend for a group of women that (after the summer of conferencing) will be presidents of colleges and universities.. hopefully. Anyway, one of them was quickly very interested in talking to me after I told her I was a computer science major. At bryn mawr anyway, we have anywhere between 1-4 comp sci graduates a year, compared to psyc or anthro with 50+ grads aka: no one is going into computer science in my little liberal arts school. So this lady is talking to me all about what I want to do when I graduate and then she asks me how I think the industry is looking right now, if I think there are tech jobs out there. I tell her about how when I was in high school, working in the grocery store, I worked with people who had been "let go" from their tech/programming jobs and how they all told me I was crazy for wanting to study it in school. Who's laughing now? There are more tech jobs than ever I mean look around! We are in the computer age maaaaaaaaaaaaan! In a class I took this past spring the professor told us that there were very few computer science majors to begin with, and in that section the amount of women was incredibly small. This is all good news for women in comp sci today, because there are more jobs than ever without the same supply of students graduating with the degree = high paying jobs. Yup, I hope that works out for me :)

No comments: