Thursday, July 10, 2008

windows live - saving my life

So recently the HDD on my work computer died. I was working on an old school tablet vaio, I really loved it but it couldn't handle all the work. I had been backing up most of my files on my windows live account and it was really convenient. With windows live they give you 5GB of storage for free- can you believe it? It's so easy to upload and download files- and it can be accessed anywhere. I know this technology isn't new or anything but I've never taken advantage of it before. I can't get over how easy it is. I've talked about online storage before but with services like mozy, you have to pay a lot. Though you get a lot more storage space with mozy, I don't think it's worth the fee. I'm definitely going to be using my windows live account during the school year to back up my files (because I tend to work on a lot of different computers). I used to carry a thumb drive but why bother? How many times can I honestly say I've been in a situation where I needed to get some files from storage and didn't have internet? Very rarely. Bottom line, good on ya microsoft for developing a decent product.

Note: Windows live has many other services too, which I haven't explored. The "skydrive" as it's called is only a small portion of the windows live experience.

No comments: